The rock-cut caves at Ajanta - more detailed pictures here

The horseshoe shaped cliffs rise about 80 metres
above the Wagora river following its course
for about 380 metres.

Ajanta is 62 miles north of Aurangabad in western India.
Excavation began around the 2nd century BCE and
the caves are found first mentioned in the writings
of the Chinese pilgrim Hiuen Tsang who visited India
between A.D 629 and 645. They were 'discovered' during
military manouevres by the British in 1817.
Public attention was roused but was nearly fatal
as many archaeologists and officials sought souvenirs
to present to museums. Wire screens were fitted
to the more important caves in 1903.



The entrance to cave 24.